Benefits of making a commitment:
- Liberating to admit your problems
- By committing publicly, you are more likely to follow through.
- Public commitments build intimacy with others (sharing goals and admitting faults).
How to commit?
- Express what you want to do.
- Get your team to give feedback.
Put your commitment on paper.
Allow your team to hold you accountable. Do a regular (e.e. once a month) checkin with your advisors just for this. Restate your commitment. Give them a progress report. Emphasize you need their help to keep you on track.